THE JOSEPHSENS

Monday, April 27, 2009

Lions and Tigers and Goats, Oh my!

Before you read any further, please look at the above picture, think about petting zoos and tell me what animal Anthony is looking at. More on that later.

Anthony took his first trip to the zoo this weekend!

He saw a Florida fave, flamingos...

Rode the carousel with daddy...

Checked out the elephants with mommy...

and much, much more...

Anthony was pretty much take-it-or-leave it regarding the zoo -- he didn't hate it, but he wasn't exactly jumping up and down (I know he can't jump up and down yet, but if he could, he wouldn't have been, I could just tell) -- but he definitely perked up when we visited the petting zoo. There, he giggled and grinned as he got up close and personal with this creature.

As we were leaving the petting zoo, a zoo employee asked us how our little boy was enjoying the zoo. Not wanting to call out the zoo for more or less boring my child to sleep (actually, had the zoo put Anthony to sleep, I wouldn't call it out, I would bow at its feet) I just said, "Oh, he really loved petting the goat."


The zoo employee fixed me with a condescending gaze, and said, "Well, he would have loved it, if that were a goat. But it's actually a (insert variety of exotic, obscure goat-looking sheep) sheep from (insert exotic, obscure country where they call their goats sheep). "

Then she proceeded to give Anthony a baseball card-type thing about the GOAT (ha! take that, zoo lady!) which he of course thrust in his mouth and chewed on until it fell apart and threatened to choke him. Gracias, zoo lady!!!

Anyway, like I said, aside from petting the GOAT (ha!) Anthony was just kind of OK with the zoo. Still, it was a nice family outing on a beautiful, sunny Sunday morning. I'm sure we'll be back and that Anthony will enjoy the zoo more in the future, like when he's old enough to walk up and feed the GOAT (ha!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Anthony had fun petting the GOAT! That zoo lady sounds like some kind of snob... a "sheep snob" I guess - ha ha! It looked like a goat to me too, except no horns - don't goats have horns? Maybe that's why it's technically a sheep? Anyway, it sounds like a fun outing... although Anthony doesn't look too happy about riding the carousel - maybe he's trying to scowl in the general direction of the zoo lady, just to get her goat! HAR HAR HAR - you knew someone had to make that pun!

Love, Kerry
;-)

Grandma Dianne said...

Well, it looks like a goat to this grandma! One of the Billy Goats Gruff, I think. That is a story that Anthony will love! I will read it to him when we visit. I am thinking of all kinds of games to play with him! I googled the Miami Zoo and it does sound really nice. I couldn't find any info, though, on the sheep/goat!

Shirley said...

Well, he was just getting acquainted with the animals. Had to have been a little overwhelming. At least they didn't scare him. He will get to love it I am sure when he gets older and understands a little more of the whole thing. And yes, I thought that was a goat too, and kids do love to pet goats. And the goats love the kids. Maybe that is why they are both called kids. Although that particular one did not look that young. But if it was technically a sheep, I guess those are not kids anyway. Lambs. And they love people and children too. We raised sheep when I was a "kid" and they follow you all over the place. Just like a goat. I thought Anthony might have been excited about the big kitties. But maybe he couldn't get close enough to them to appreciate them. Couldn't grab their tails. One day he will love the zoo, I am sure. Love you all. Shirley